Flashlights, weighing scales, and even our reliable electric toothbrushes are items we use in our everyday lives. Do you know what all of these have in common? If you answered ‘battery,’ you’re correct. Even our smartphones cannot work without their trusty power source.
No matter how useful these batteries are in our everyday life, there’s no denying that they can sometimes fail us, especially in times of need. Understandably frustrating, one might think that they cannot power the necessary devices without batteries. This is why learning how to make a DIY battery is essential.
Want to learn how to make a DIY battery in the comfort of your own home? Read on and find out various methods of creating your own battery. Take a look below.
Making A DIY Battery
Method 1: Salt-Powered Battery
Who doesn’t have salt in their house, right? With this method, you’ll be able to build a makeshift energy source that will power up various needs and appliances. For this approach, you’ll need a plastic cup, two pieces of metal strips (aluminum, copper, or zinc), a tablespoon of salt, a pair of scissors, two electrical lead wires with alligator clips, and a voltage meter.
- Put ¾ cup of water into the plastic cup.
- Add a tablespoon of salt to the water and stir properly until dissolved.
- Insert the two metal strips into the cup. Make sure the ends of the strips go past the cup’s rims.
- Then, clip on the alligator clips to the two ends of the wires. Each lead wire with an alligator clip should be properly attached to one end of the metal strip.
- With the help of the voltage meter, connect the lead wire to the device. This approach should allow you to reach three-quarters of a volt.
Method 2: Soda-Powered Battery
Soda is another household essential that you’ll almost always have in your pantry or in your fridge. After all, it’s good for entertaining unexpected guests or simply cooling out yourselves on a hot day. However, soda can also be used to make a battery.
For this method, you’ll need one can of soda, one plastic cup, one strip of copper that’s ¾ wide and longer than the rim of the cup, a pair of scissors, two lead wires with alligator clips, and of course, a voltage meter. You may also use a number of copper wires stuck or glued together in order to achieve the same width.
To do this, observe the following steps.
- Pour soda into the plastic cup and fill it up ¾ of the way. Then, set aside the remaining soda in a separate glass or container if you wish to consume it later on. However, you need to drain the contents of the can completely to ensure that all liquid is gone.
- Once the can is completely drained, cut a piece of an aluminum strip from the side of the can. Make sure that the strip also measures ¾ in width and that it is also longer than the overall height of the plastic cup. Sand the strip down to get smooth and even edges, taking care to remove the paint and the detailing on the can’s exterior.
- Put both the copper and aluminum strips into the soda. Ensure that the panels don’t touch one another.
- Once the strips are in, attach one lead wire to each strip with the help of the alligator clips.
- Then, through the voltage meter, attach the other end of the lead wire and gauge its effectivity. The expected outcome is ¾ of a volt as well.
Method 3: Hand-Powered Battery
Make use of your hands by powering up a battery. For this DIY battery, you’ll need an aluminum plate and a copper plate. Two lead wires with alligator clips, a huge, even slab of wood, and a voltage meter will also be necessary for this approach.
- Place the two metallic plates side by side on top of an even piece of wood. You may also opt for plastic-based surfaces for this method.
- Then, clip the two lead wires via alligator clips.
- Attach the wires to the voltage meter.
- Then, place your hands on the plates. The water or the sweat that comes in contact with the metal will produce voltage.
The Bottom Line
Now that you know how to make a DIY battery, you don’t have to panic when you forget to buy batteries or you suddenly lose power for your devices. With these methods, you can easily remedy any situation in a pinch.