With society increasingly immersing into the digital age, many people are plagued by the issue of slow computers. A computer may slow down for a multitude of reasons. Most of the reasons boil down to one thing – us making use of them. As you download applications, install extensions, surf the internet, create records and fill your hard drive with movies and music, you inevitably impact your computer’s efficiency. So in case you’ve been asking yourself “why is my computer so slow?”, we are here to help!
In this article, we will guide you through solving the reasons behind a slow computer.
Most common reasons for why a computer slows down:
- Hardware failure.
- The computer is too old and outdated.
- Hardware conflicts and outdated drivers.
- Your laptop has been running for a long time without a reboot.
- Not enough free space.
- Your variant of Windows, or other programs, needs to be updated.
- Corrupted or fragmented systems.
- The computer is infected with malware.
- Too many old files.
- Computer or processor is overheating.
Also, Read WMI Provider Host High CPU
Scale down the number of applications running in the background
- On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key and the R key simultaneously.
- Type “MSConfig” and press Enter.
- Go to the Startup tab, and click “open Task Manager”.
- Click the programs you don’t want to run continuously and click “Disable”.
Turn off unnecessary animations
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key and S key simultaneously.
- Type “optimize visibly” and clicks “Optimize visual display”.
- Scroll down and tick the checkbox for turning off all unnecessary animations (when possible).
- Then click “Apply” to finish turning off certain animations.
Also, Read DNS Address Could Not be Found
Delete temporary files
Whenever you employ Internet Explorer, all of your search histories remain within the depths of your computer. The same thing occurs when you install something. It is like not throwing away the packaging when you buy a new television. It unnecessarily takes up space within your system.
Clean up junk files
- Launch EaseUS Partition Master. Choose “instruments” and click “process Optimization”.
- Click “Junk File Cleanup”. Then you click on “Analyze” to let EaseUS Partition find potential junk documents on your laptop.
- Then, you can examine the results and decide which documents are junk files.
- All the selected junk documents will be cleaned and deleted from your laptop.
- Click “sure” to clean up junk documents.
Your computer could be infected with a virus
The presence of a laptop virus makes itself immediately recognizable via the encryption of records, demand for ransom, or different nefarious pop-ups. However, some viruses do run covertly in the background, collecting critical information like usernames, passwords, financial information, and health care data. Most client-grade anti-virus options are not able to detect such illicit operations, which makes a multi-layered, continually evolving protection program a must for any business in the 21st century.
Run a scan of your computer using Windows Defender by going to Settings, Updates and Security, Windows Security, Virus and threat protection. From here, run the scan to check for any viruses.
Also, Read Windows 10 Taskbar Not Working
Your hard drive is failing
Hard drives, unfortunately, have a certain life span. As the engine behind your computer, it can become run down after working hard for years. After several years of constant use, the moving parts of a hard drive are prone to failure, which poses a serious risk to the content of your computer.
- Open Windows Explorer on your computer.
- Right-click on “Drive” and go to “Properties”.
- You can select “Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors”.
- See any “bad” areas of the hard drive.
- Can also increase the scan time to a few hours.
Update your device drivers
In the case that your device drivers are too old for your current operating system, it’s very likely that your laptop will run slowly. For computer efficiency, you will need to make sure that your drivers are updated with current technology. You can do this update automatically.
- Download and install Driver Easy.
- Run Driver Easy and click the “Scan Now” button. Driver Easy will then scan your laptop and find any problem drivers.
- Click the Update button next to all flagged device to automatically download and set up the correct variation of their drivers (you can do this with the FREE variant of Driver Easy).
- When the update finishes, you’ll be prompted to restart your computer.
- After restarting, check to see if your computer is running better.
Also, Read Akamai Netsession Client Interface
Increase your virtual memory
Here’s how to add more virtual memory to your computer:
- On your keyboard, press the Windows key and Pause key at the same time. Then click on “developed approach Settings” on the left panel.
- Go to the evolved tab, and click “Settings”.
- Go to the advanced tab, and click “exchange”.
- Make sure the checkbox for “automatically manipulate paging file size for all drives” is not checked.
- Select your home windows power, then click on “custom dimension” and enter a preliminary size and highest dimension for your virtual memory.
- Once you’ve entered your virtual memory values, click “Set”, then click “OK” to continue.
- Restart your computer and see if your computer’s speed has improved.
We hope the methods above are clear and helpful in troubleshooting your computer issues. These are the best ways to improve the speed of your computer. If you have any questions, let us know in the comment box. Share this guide with your friends and family to help them improve the efficiency of their computers!