There are a lot of reasons why you may want to transfer your calls to another number. First, you might be busy at the moment and cannot attend the call, so you transfer it to someone like your family or partner. Also, you might have picked up the phone by mistake but the call isn’t for you, so you need to transfer the caller to a different number.
Because of the technology we have today, transferring calls to a different number is a lot easier than it was in the past. It is usually done with a phone’s feature or a subscription service. Either way, transferring calls help you not miss any important calls.
Wondering how to transfer calls to a different number? Here’s a guide to help you forward the call without hanging up. Follow the steps below to get started.
Call Forwarding Considerations
Basically, the call forwarding feature will bypass the main number or line if you do not answer. By setting up a second number for the call forwarding feature, the calls will be automatically transferred. Callers can still hear your voicemail but cannot leave a message because they will be directed to the second number.
In the event that you cannot set up the call forwarding feature, you need to contact your carrier and they can set it up for you.
How To Transfer Calls
Without hanging up, you can transfer calls by enabling automatic call forwarding features. Read below to find out how to do this.
Most iPhone devices already have the call forwarding feature, and you can set it up by turning the setting on. You will be asked to forward calls into a specific number.
- Go to Settings > Phone
- Under Call Forwarding, toggle the on the option to enable the feature
- Enter the number you would like to transfer calls to
Note: This doesn’t work with some carriers. If things aren’t working, contact the carrier and inform them of the issue.
To enable the call transfer feature on Android devices, you simply need to go to the settings of the phone.
- Find the Phone app and tap More.
- If there is no More option, click on Settings.
- Under the list, choose Call Settings. Then tap the Call Forwarding option.
- Choose Always Forward to transfer calls on a different number. You will be required to enter a specific phone number where calls will be transferred. Also, make sure you enter the area code.
- There are three options to choose from, Forward When Busy, Forward When Unanswered, and Forward When Unreached. Choose the option you prefer.
- Tap OK.
Other Ways To Transfer Calls
If the phone settings don’t work, there are alternative ways to transfer calls to a different number.
- In the keypad, press **.
- Enter the codes 21 to divert calls; 61 to divert calls you don’t answer, and 67 to divert calls when your phone is engaged in a different call.
- Press the * key again.
- This time, you will be asked to enter the phone number you want to transfer the calls to. Replace the 0 with +44.
- Press the # key and tap call.
Using The Call Transfer Tool
You can also use a handy feature called Call Transfer to divert calls to any phone number or device. With this tool, calls are automatically forwarded to a pre-set number.
- Put the current call on hold by pressing or releasing the receiver button.
- The shutter tone will be heard from the line.
- This time, dial the number you want to transfer the call to.
- Stay on the line until the different number answers.
- Hang up.
Note: If you transfer the call to an overseas or long-distance number, you will be responsible for the charges involved. Also, note that some carriers only allow Call Transfer with an additional rate on your existing plan.
The Bottom Line
Transferring calls to a different number is easy and there are a lot of ways to do it. Setting this up helps avoid inconveniences and ensures that important calls will be attended to, even if you aren’t the one to answer them. Contact your carrier if the instructions listed above don’t work for you.